Thursday 13 October 2016

Love and more

I was married straight out of college. When other girls giggled at the sight of boys (I was in girls college), I had my marriage preparations going on. I was 21 married to a man of 40. I had many expectations and so many thoughts about being with someone. Baba told me he is well read and has a stable job and he is not old also. He looked good I agree, much younger to his age. I also agreed. My friends thought of me as crazy. My best friend said "Mala tumi khoob sundar, why are you marrying a guy double your age?" And I told her age is just a number.
He met me before marriage. Told me he was married earlier and his wife died within first year of marriage. It was a love marriage and he didn't want to marry again. Now because of his mothers insistence he is ready to marry me but he wanted to know if I want the same. I had nothing to say. I told him baba has chosen him and I have no reason to protest. 
I was married in a fortnight. He had a good house. Just him and his mother. They treated me well. His house had a lot of books. He was a professor of history and political science. Mostly the conversations we had were related to these areas. I didn't have any particular interests. I liked music and practiced Rabindrasangeet on my own. 
The discussions with him increased my interest in history and I used his library during free hours of afternoon to read and study. After few months on his mothers insistence we had our first child and in few years our second child. Apart from that he never slept in our room. 
Today after 9 years of marriage, I look back. Things have been good. Baba was right. My husband was good to me and provided for everything I can ask for. We have better than decent living and both my children are happy and healthy. 
He never pressurized me for anything. He let me do what I want. He never spoke to me badly, honestly he spoke less with me and he became more distant with time but he is a good father. He helps out children with studies, after all he is a professor. 
But There is something missing. I can't say what. I feel empty. I have tried to increase my circle, made friends, read more, learn new skills, worked few years as well. Nothing really helped me. I have everything still I search for something. The feeling of not being loved, not needed by your partner. I'm old enough to understand it's not what my body needs. It's something deeper that I want from him. I wonder if it's because he's older or he loved someone else that we can't connect. Or because I'm too young and immature to not understand his love. While I have everything that a girl can expect from marriage and still I want that companionship, that love.. that feeling of togetherness. So I ask myself you can't ask for everything, can you?

No comments:

Post a Comment