Tuesday 25 February 2014

Are you fair!

Wherever I go, I see this obsession with being fair in India. Everyone wants to be fairer than what they really are. Not just girls, you can see big market for guy fairness creams. What is the problem with being dark?
People tell us Oh you have become dark, use some duppatta to cover your face when outside. I want to tell them I like Sun! I like it!
Girls and guys are sold like commodities in arrange marriage and one of the most favorite sentence is "ladki bhaut gori hai, ladka ekdum gora chitta hai". I mean as if only color is the reason anyone can be beautiful.
One of my African friend told how much obsession is there in Africa as well to be fair. Sometimes I wonder where it came from! We know the White population wants to have tan, they show it, they flaunt it and we the Blacks and Browns, we want to be Whites!
I completely agree that one should take care of oneself and skin as well. but I don't understand the fact that how and why fairness is completely commoditized amongst Blacks and Browns and how did we all ended up accepting the fact that "The fairer the better". It just sounds so funny that we accept this phrase for our color and not in our deeds! Is there any cream available to cure that!
Then there is another thing. I am not really sure what would happen if we get the results that we are actually looking for (in our complexion through the creams) but I wonder if it is just the dissatisfaction with what we have in any area in life!

No comments:

Post a Comment